Thursday, March 10, 2011

Alternator Fail

I put in the new battery, as well as a new ground strap. After taking out the previous ground strap, you could tell it was just a POS. Corrosion had broken it in several places.

Anyways, with the new battery in, and new ground strap, I used the voltmeter to read about 12.50. I started the car up and she came to life right away. I measured again while running to get around 14.40. It was running good at idle, but after I gave it some gas, it began to lose power.

After a few revs, the tachometer dropped and dropped, until it was at at about 10, and then the warning light came on, and you could notice there was hardly any power at all.

I used the jumper cable on the negative ground, while holding the other cable clamped to the well. The battery did not seem to be draining either. It held at about 12.50+.

I let it sit for awhile and gave it another fire up. This time it held at about 12 on the tachometer, and it would stay put when I revved. It sounded very firm and strong. I turned the car off and fired up again, and it read around 14.45.
I let it idle for about a minute, and the tach dropped from 14 to 12. Voltage measured around 13.71. It can't make up it's mind whether it wants to hold or not.


Good thing I have a spare Alternator sitting here, because it needs to go in the 928...

No comments:

Post a Comment